The Philosopher's Stone
By Steven Alpern, LAc
Steven Alpern graduated from Dartmouth College in 1978. Shortly thereafter, he began to pursue studies in Chinese medicine, first as a private acupuncture student of Tseui Wei (from whom he learned and practiced tuina and traditional Chinese bodywork), then as a student of Fang Feng, a master herbalist in Oakland, Calif. He graduated from the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in 1986.
Mr. Alpern has been in private practice since 1986, and has continued to further his knowledge of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. From 1989 to 1994, he studied Japanese empirical acupuncture methods with Kiiko Matsumoto. From 1994 to the present, he studied classical Chinese medicine with Jeffrey Yuen, an 88th-generation Daoist master, both in California and New York. He has used the written word to explore his understanding of Mr. Yuen's teachings since 1999.
During 2008, Mr. Alpern will be teaching one-day introductory seminars on waike and the Digestion specialty through the professional education program of Golden Flower Chinese Herbs.
More Is Better
- April, 2009 (Vol. 10, Issue 04)
- February, 2009 (Vol. 10, Issue 02)
- December, 2008 (Vol. 09, Issue 12)
Specialties in Chinese Medicine
- October, 2008 (Vol. 09, Issue 10)
The Dynamics of Yin/Yang
- August, 2008 (Vol. 09, Issue 08)
History Written Into the Body
- June, 2008 (Vol. 09, Issue 06)
The Fine Art of Subtle Manipulation
- April, 2008 (Vol. 09, Issue 04)
The Peculiar Power of Chinese Medicine
- February, 2008 (Vol. 09, Issue 02)
The Challenge of Aging - Part 2
- December, 2007 (Vol. 08, Issue 12)
The Challenge of Aging: Part One
- October, 2007 (Vol. 08, Issue 10)
Beyond Substance to Process
- August, 2007 (Vol. 08, Issue 08)
What Are Symptoms?
- June, 2007 (Vol. 08, Issue 06)
The Tragic (Second) Modernization of Chinese Medicine
- April, 2007 (Vol. 08, Issue 04)
Understanding the Channels Through Experience
- February, 2007 (Vol. 08, Issue 02)
The Spirit of Inquiry
- December, 2006 (Vol. 07, Issue 12)
Discovering the Alchemy of Healing
- October, 2006 (Vol. 07, Issue 10)
Treating Patients with Chronic Disease
- August, 2006 (Vol. 07, Issue 08)
Is This Deficiency or Excess?
- June, 2006 (Vol. 07, Issue 06)
In Defense of Case Studies
- April, 2006 (Vol. 07, Issue 04)