In most disaster situations, acupuncturists can be of greatest support beginning several weeks after the disaster, once the people most affected have water, shelter, food, and immediate medical care. When these emergency needs are taken care of, the next critical need is for the people who have been traumatized to be able to function once again.
You may make donations online by visiting the AWB donation page. AWB is hoping to raise $20,000 to implement the relief effort. There will be regular updates on the AWB Web site of how much money has been raised.
In addition to donations, we are seeking volunteers. Licensed acupuncturists and NADA-trained acupuncture detoxification specialists are welcome to apply. Priority will be given to AWB members who have been to an AWB training session since they are already familiar with many of the considerations, procedures and protocols for providing disaster relief.
Volunteers will need to pay for their own round-trip airfare and food. They will also need to have their own medical insurance. Other costs will be covered, including housing, local transportation, local communication, acupuncture supplies, administrative support in the U.S. as well as in Haiti, and coordination amongst agencies.
AWB asks that If you would like to volunteer, please do not call as they are inundated with messages. Instead, please send e-mail to and include the following preliminary information:
- Name, address, email address (important!) and phone number
- Date of birth
- State of licensure and license number, or ADS certificate number
- Paragraph description of previous community/field acupuncture training and experience, if any
- If you have an active passport and when it expires
- If you have medical insurance and what kind
- When you are available to go
- Any personal health issues
- If you have attended an AWB training, please include date and location
More information can be found at www.acuwithoutborders.org.