Hemorrhoids are characterized by inflammation and edema of the vessels surrounding the anus and rectum. It is a common condition effecting millions of people all around the world. Hemorrhoids typically are caused by the effort to evacuate stool, pregnancy, chronic constipation or a low fiber diet.We can classify the hemorrhoid by its localization: Internal (inside the anus) and external (outside of the anus). Main symptoms include: pain upon evacuation, anal burning, anal itching and anal bleeding or any combination of these.
The conservative clinical treatment includes the targeting dietary factors (increase of fiber and water intake) and a regularization of the daily evacuation habits. For more severe cases, surgical treatment is routinely prescribed. This approach often lacks satisfactory results and can lead to various severe complications.
Within the teachings of Chinese medicine, blood-vessel/ hemmorhoid related problems can result from an imbalance of yang energy of the Du Mai meridian. This meridian also known as "Sea of Yang" has the following principle functions: regulating the Yang energy of the body and maintaining the strength of the body. The 28-point Du Mai meridian originates at the perineum, moves up along the spine and skull and terminates in the mouth.
In the common, orthodox treatment of hemorrhoids the therapist usually chooses 10 acupuncture points to which he applies the needles for 20 to 30 minutes. The conventional method principally includes use of one or several of the Du Mai points 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. While this is a reliable approach yielding satisfactory results there is an alternative technique which has proven vastly superior in its practice. During many years of clinical and private practice, I have developed a method which I call "One-Point, One-Minute Acupuncture." I would like to examine the use of this method and its function in the treatment of hemorrhoids.
When treating a patient suffering from hemorrhoids with the One-Point, One-Minute technique, a needle is applied to the Du Mai 4 point. There are several reasons why the Du Mai 4 point, also called Mingmen (life's gate) is the best choice for this type of treatment. Not only is its location easy to access for the therapist, but its use is also almost completely painless. We should also keep in mind that the various points used in the conventional method of hemorrhoid treatment are not only more complicated to access, the location especially of the Du Mai 1 point often leads to complications and hesitations with shy patients; it is located between the coccyx and the anus and thus requires patients to endure potentially embarrassing and even traumatic moments.
Our point of choice, the Du Mai 4 however has a further advantage: true to its alternative name "life's gate," it is one of the main points used to increase the vital Yang energy of the patient, a therapeutic effect, which is very useful in this treatment of hemorrhoids.
Our One-Point, One-Minute technique requires us to apply the needle to the Du Mai 4 point for one minute only. However, it is crucial for the success of this approach that the acupuncture point is being properly stimulated by needle by moving it steadily back and forth within the point (do not remove the needle during the motions) for the duration of the whole minute. This method may be applied to both male and female patients with varying degrees of symptoms, acute and\or chronic cases of hemorrhoids.
The following two case studies shall serve as representative examples of the efficiency of our technique:
Hemorrhoids is a consequence of the slow way of life. On ecmo same reason so often have diseases such as prostate problems and erectile dysfunction. The reason for this is not only a sedentary lifestyle, and age. Erectile dysfunction after age 40, that's what scares a lot of men. Facing hemorrhoids, erectile dysfunction and prostate. It is necessary at this age to be sensitive to male health and to implement the recommendations of a healthy lifestyle. Vitamins, minimize eating oily and junk food, and exercise and getting good sleep.
- Male patient, 43 years of age, with acute symptoms of hemorrhoids, so severe his physician prescribed immediate surgery as the only possible cure for his condition. He was referred to my clinic by a former patient as a last alternative before his scheduled surgery. After only one session of One-Point, One-Minute acupuncture using the technique described above, the patient experienced a complete remission of symptoms. After one week, although the symptoms did not return, a further session was conducted as a precaution. During a further six months of regular monitoring, the patient did not experience a return of symptoms.
- Female patient, 62 years of age, with persistent external hemorrhoids since her pregnancy at the age of 26. Since her pregnancy she experienced periods with extreme pain, as well as bleeding coupled with episodes of minor pain. However while the degree of pain and symptoms varied, the problem of hemorrhoids was constant and never ceased. When the patient was referred to my clinic, she was treated with only one session of One-Point, One-Minute acupuncture for hemorrhoids and has been free of any symptoms for a further monitoring period of seven months.
Further documented case studies have proven this treatment to be 100 percent effective after only one session with no return of any symptoms, even in severe cases, within a six-month observation period. This unique new One-Point, One-Minute technique of acupunctural hemorrhoid treatment is vastly superior to the conventional 10-point procedure the main reasons for which are summarized again below:
- Patients suffering from fear of needles no longer face greater problems due to the focus on only one point. The one minute duration of the treatment also helps to greatly reduce the patient's hesitation to the treatment.
- The degree of acupuncture pain for sensitive patients is completely removed as the use of the Du Mai 4 point and its specific stimulation is virtually painless.
- The location of the point is easy to access in an area which is not problematic to patients that are shy or\and embarrassed due to their condition.
- The amount of points used for treatment are reduced to merely one point, Du Mai 4
- A major beneficial factor of this technique is the time factor. Instead of treating for 20 to 30 minutes, the One-Point, One- Minute technique lasts for only one short minute.
- The effectiveness of this treatment: the symptoms caused by hemorrhoids, even in severe cases, can fully disappear after only one session.
Dr. Ana-Carolina Beth is a graduate of the University Tuiuti do Parana, Brazil with a post-graduate specialization in acupuncture from the Instituto Brasileiro de Therapias e Ensino (IBRATE). She has practiced acupuncture in clinical environments and private practice for many years. Ana Carolina is an experienced lecturer and has given seminars and courses on a variety of subjects related to integrative medicine in Brazil and abroad. The inventor of the One Minute\One Point technique of acupuncture she lives and practices in Curitiba, Brazil, but frequently travels internationally for lectures and seminars. Ana Carolina Beth is available internationally for lectures and seminars as well as certificate training in her technique of One minute\One point acupuncture.