The mission and goals of Atlantic University of Chinese Medicine are:
- To provide a dynamic curriculum to graduate Chinese medicine practitioners who are well-trained in theoretical, diagnostic, and clinical knowledge in all aspects of Chinese medicine.
- To provide a sound knowledge of basic biomedical sciences and their integration into a Chinese medical practice.
- To raise the level of biomedical knowledge in Chinese medical practitioners so as to improve the skills of communication and to further the dialog between western and Chinese medical sciences.
- To create a Master's of Science in Oriental Medicine program approved by the Board of Regents of North Carolina.
- To assure that students who are awarded a professional diploma in Oriental medicine are fully prepared to responsibly practice Oriental medicine.
- To prepare students to sit for the national licensing exams in both acupuncture and herbal medicine.
- To encourage students to seek spiritual development as it applies to the art of healing.
- To provide the community with quality and low-cost health care while completing the intern's education of practical clinical medicine and strengthen his or her ability to promote professional practitioner-patient relationships.
- To hire the most qualified staff available.
- To teach students to read and translate medical Chinese so that AUCM graduates can research the vast Chinese medical literature in order to deepen their understanding and practice of Chinese medicine.
The Atlantic University of Chinese Medicine is the only school in North Carolina to have a degree program approved for candidate status by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Its program was named a candidate by ACAOM in May 2002.
The Atlantic University of Chinese Medicine offers a master's-level diploma in Oriental medicine. The program includes five main areas of study: traditional Chinese medicine theory and practices; acupuncture principles and practices; herbology; related studies; and Western biosciences.
For more information on the Atlantic University of Chinese Medicine, contact:
Atlantic University of Chinese Medicine
PO Box 790
Mars Hill, NC 28754
Tel: (828) 689-1669
Fax: (828) 689-1670
Web site: www.aucm.com