The University of Bridgeport Master of Science in Acupuncture degree program is an integrated unit of the University of Bridgeport, a private, non-sectarian, comprehensive university. The program’s mission is to advance the discipline of oriental medical acupuncture through educational, clinical and scholarly activities. The program seeks to educate its students to be productive, caring and responsible citizens and professionals. By providing an outstanding professional education, the program will produce graduates with a high level of clinical skills who have the commitment and judgment necessary to act in the service of others.
The objectives of the Acupuncture Institute are to:
- Provide comprehensive training in acupuncture and related techniques within the framework of traditional oriental medical theories;
- Give student clinicians training that will help them work either in private practice settings or in concert with other health providers in integrative clinical settings; and
- Produce graduates who can meet state and national licensure requirements.
The University of Bridgeport is (as of July 2005) the most recent college to gain candidate status from the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. The program officially began in 2002, and was accredited on a state level by the Connecticut Department of Higher Education in June 2003. It was granted candidate status in May 2005.
The Master of Science in Acupuncture degree program consists of 1,809 didactic hours and 708 clinical hours, for a total of 2,517 hours of study. The program is three years in length (36 months) and is scheduled on a semester basis. The curriculum of the program consists of six distinct areas:
- Acupuncture Practice and Techniques
- Oriental Theory, Diagnosis and Application
- Western Biomedicine
- Herbal Medicine Survey
- Movement and Respiration Studies
- Clinical Services
For more information on the University of Bridgeport, contact:
University of Bridgeport
Master of Science in Acupuncture Program
60 Lafayette Street
Bridgeport, CT 06601
Tel: 203-576-4109 or 800-392-3582