Established in 1969, Samra University is the oldest most distinguished university of Oriental medicine in North America. Although the objectives have evolved since its founding, to incorporate Western pedagogy and modern technology, the essence of the founders' original objectives have been maintained. Samra University strives to bring the best of Eastern medicine to the Western market.
Samra University provides degrees in Masters of Science of Oriental Medicine (MSOM) and Doctorate of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (DAOM). After completion of our programs, a graduate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Understand the foundations of Oriental medicine, as indicated by students' mastery of basic Chinese medical theory and language terminology.
- Accurately diagnose patients' patterns of disharmony according to Oriental medical principles.
- Treat illnesses using the modalities of Oriental medicine and demonstrate the capacity to design and create programs using herbal formulas, acupuncture treatments, while recommending a nutritional lifestyle, and energetic practice.
- Understand the basics of Western clinical science and have the ability to refer patients for Western health care.
- Understand medical ethics, legal and professional principles of practice management.
In 1979, Samra became the first school of Oriental Medicine to receive full institutional approval by the California State Department of Education. The MSOM and DAOM program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Schools of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Samra University is known internationally as a premiere teaching institution with a reputation that draws students from around the world. To accommodate students' varying backgrounds, classes are taught separately in three languages: English, Mandarin Chinese and Korean.
For more information on Samra University of Oriental Medicine, contact:
Samra University of Oriental Medicine
1730 W. Olympic Blvd., 3rd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Tel: (213) 355-3502
Fax: (213) 381-2227
Web site: www.samra.edu